Penguins are cute animals that always lives in cold, so this crafts projects will be good for winter. This is relatively easy project with no requirements of uncommon materials. It can be a pinata, piggy bank, or simple decoration.
You will need:
- Old newspapers
- Color paper (white, black, and orange)
- Glue or flour
- Craft eyes (optional)
- Blow up an ordinary balloon.
- Make papier-mache paste. There are two options:
- Mix of 3/4 of white glue and 1/4 of water.
- Mix 1/2 cup of flour with 2 1/2 cups of water, boil for 3 minutes, stir occasionally, and let cool. This is cheapest method that gives excellent results.
- Tear newspapers into strips. Glue strips on a balloon with paste one-by-one. Apply two layers of newspaper on a balloon. Let it completely dry. It may take up to 24 hours. You could put a newspaper ball near the fan, this will speed up a process of drying.
- If making a pinata, cut off the top of the ball, fill it with candies or small toys, and attach a ribbon.
- If making a piggy bank, cut a split at the top of the ball with sharp knife or scissors.
- Fold black and white paper sheets and cut out multiple ‘petals’ that will be feathers of penguin. Don’t make it too small, or project will take a long time. Glue white petals to form an oval tummy of our penguin. Then, glue up black petals on rest of the paper ball
- Cut out the beak of our penguin of orange paper as shown below. Bend paper on dashed lines and glue it on the bird.
- Cut out two more big petals – this would be wings of a penguin. Glue it up on the sides and add eyes (you could also make it fromr paper).